My husband and I have two pets, a corgi and a cat. We love them to pieces, but they both shed like mad and stink up the house if we’re not careful. So, I vacuum once a week and use this odor killer as often as needed to keep the carpet clean and smelling fresh. I imagine this same mixture could easily be used on furniture as well, if needed.
- Baking Soda
- Essential Oil – You can use whatever oils you like depending on what you hope to accomplish with them. For instance, Lavender is a nice smell in a bedroom to help you relax and sleep. On Guard and Cinnamon will kill germs and yuckies that thrive in your carpet. Lemon leaves a lovely, uplifting scent that feels really clean.
- To make the odor killing mixture, combine a small box of baking soda with 5-10 drops of essential oil. Mix thoroughly before beginning the cleaning process.
- Run your vacuum over the carpet you want to neutralize.
- Sprinkle the baking soda mixture over the whole carpet.
- If your carpet is really stinky or has long fibers, work it in as much as you can.
- Let it sit for a while – an hour or more if you can.
- Vacuum it all back up and enjoy your fresher smelling house.
Ensure the oils you use are safe for your kids and pets before using! Some animals, like birds, are extra sensitive to some oils and great care needs to be taken to ensure they aren’t hurt by your cleaning product.
I keep my odor killing mixture readymade in an old glass jar. Be sure to only use glass or metal containers when using essential oils – never ever plastic!